Saturday, June 30, 2007

Color blending experiment

Illusion

I did a tutorial about vivid color creation in Computer Arts magazine this morning. The result of the tutorial was quite nice to look at, so I decided to make another experiment using the same method.
The image above is what I ended up with, completely made from lots of random thought. The butterflies was created from a photo in sxc.hu (with some retouch and re-draw) and the texture of background is from the tutorial. There no thing much in technique, only try to blend gradient and random color with different blending mode.

About how did I created this photo, it's all blending mode. The new things I learned in the tutorial is mixing gradient (draw foreground --> transparent gradient, set them to hard light, most of the butterflies are set to soft light). The texture and hightlight spot is screen. The tutorial is mostly about creating color, setting for butterflies (their opacity, direction, size) is my work.

What was it that I was thinking about when creating this image? Well, I was affected by the tutorial (the theme of the final image was Dream, but a dream in which you're aware that you're dreaming. That sounds pretty nice ^^) So in my picture, I think there is some dreamy factors in it (color fading, plenty butterflies blend into each other...) But I was thinking about Illusion too. The spot light in the center and the butterflies seem to be drawn into it, but they are fading as they're getting nearer to the light. It's like when we're in darkness, we'll be drawn in by thing we "believe" to be light but it's just an illusion and when we chase after it, we lost ourself and disappear.... (oh, I'm being a romantic one here ^^". But it's probably because I was feeling helpless trying to make a vector art piece and it seem I can never complete it... feel kind of bored and sad... Anyway, I did the tutorial to get a better mood that time)

Links & Credit:
Larger image
Butterfly by
cangsyl
Tutorial by Jort Braam


No comments: